9 Tips for Radiant Skin
Maintaining beautiful, radiant skin doesn’t happen by chance, it takes effort. There’s no quick fix, but there are some healthy skin care and lifestyle habits that support aging well and staying younger-looking longer. Practicing these nine habits consistently makes a huge difference in how you look and feel.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water and eating plenty of water-content foods (fruits and vegetables) help keep the skin supple and glowing. Even mild dehydration can make your skin look dull, old and congested. The amount of water you should drink depends on how active you are, where you live and your weight. According to the Mayo Clinic, on average a man should drink about 3.7 liters of water a day, and a woman, 2.7 liters. I highly recommend adding flavored cubes to your water from Waterdrop to make it easier to get your fill.
- Protect your skin with a zinc-based sunscreen. A must! Apply each morning, year-round, as the final step of your daily skin care routine. Shop Sunscreens.
- Apply skin care products that are safe, non-toxic and transform your skin. Over-the-counter products are categorized as cosmetic-grade and are not made with enough active ingredients to treat the skin. This includes health store brands as well. Skin care products that you buy from an esthetician are cosmeceutical-grade, formulated with enough beneficial ingredients to make a positive difference in your skin. Dermatologists prescribe pharmaceutical-grade products that are often full of harsh and toxic chemicals. Shop Here for the brand of skin care products I recommend. If you’d like a complimentary skin care analysis and home care recommendation for your skin, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll schedule an appointment.
- Eat foods that support healthy skin. These foods (such as avocados, fermented foods, wild salmon, leafy greens, colorful fruits and vegetables) are full of antioxidants, high in water-content, contain healthy fats and provide essential nutrients for radiant skin.
- Drink green tea. Healthy skin needs antioxidants both internally and externally. In addition to sipping the tea, you can make a DIY mask (mix 1/2 cup green tea, 1 cup yogurt, 1/3 mashed banana and 1/2 mashed avocado; apply for 20 minutes. Remove with a towel soaked in a bowl of cooled, green tea).
- Exfoliate. The outer layer of your skin contains dead skin cells that can make your skin look dull and tired. The older we get, we produce less of the enzyme that naturally sloughs-off this outer layer. Speeding this process along with the use of facial scrubs and fruit acids will reveal fresher, more vibrant skin cells that give a glowing complexion. Depending on your skin type and condition, exfoliate 2-4 times per week. Shop Exfoliants.
- Support a healthy microbiome. Both your gut and skin health play a crucial role in the look of your complexion. To support your gut microbiome, eat probiotic foods (yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kombucha and water kefir), cut down on sugar and take a high-quality probiotic supplement daily. For a healthy skin microbiome, apply an effective topical probiotic that promotes skin health and hydration. Shop Topical Probiotics.
- Get regular facial treatments. Every 4-6 weeks is ideal for maintenance. The benefits of facials are too many to mention here, but the stronger exfoliation increases the skin’s absorption ability of beneficial ingredients in your home care products, the deep cleaning of the skin removes blackheads and congestion and the skin rejuvenating techniques help your skin age well. Schedule a Facial Treatment.
- Exercise. Having a regular exercise program helps lower stress as well as increase blood flow. Both of these are vital in maintaining healthy, radiant skin.
Having beautiful skin takes an inside-and-out approach. Consuming healthy foods, drinking lots of water, using the appropriate skin care products, getting regular facial treatments and exercise not only helps your skin, it makes for a healthy lifestyle. Taking time for yourself and practicing these 9 self-care habits are easy ways to show yourself some love. You deserve that!